Sunday, August 19, 2007

A book that should be a database


Right Plant, Right Place lists almost every garden condition you could think of and recommends plants that work there. Each entry includes a color photo, list of Latin and common names, height, zone, flowering times, etc., plus a paragraph of information about habits. Because some categories overlap - e.g., Plants Suitable for Dense Shade with Plants with Yellow or Yellow-Green Leaves - you have to consult the See also list at the end of each section to get complete information. This is a 2005 revision and it's almost a book to own, but in reality I will scour it for ideas and then return it to the library until the next time I need it. I'm finding it very useful as I plan the shrub border at the north side of the house. I've also used it to update my plant lists (see right).

No comments: