Sunday, April 4, 2010

Borrowed finery

I don't have any flowering trees at the moment, unless you count the maple with its tiny red dots. But I enjoy the ones I pass on my daily round at this time of year.

This is one of two enormous weeping cherries in my neighborhood.
 

These cherries along the road by Old Mill Park always remind me of little girls putting on their party dresses and holding out their skirts.
 
Posted by Picasa

And this one is, I think, a pear tree - not the lollipop Bradford pear but the real thing, with bronze color in the fall and altogether a benign presence.
 


Maybe it's a Callery pear.

And then, of course, we have our own cherry blossom festival along Lewis Street each spring.
 
Posted by Picasa


Between those and my neighbor's cherry, I think I may not need any (except a wild cherry which is native and will attract wildlife). So maybe a crabapple instead. The classic 'sargentii' would be the one.

No comments: