Friday, May 23, 2008

Divine dahlias


Martha persuaded me to try dahlias, and I loved the single dark red one I grew last year. I wintered it over in vermiculite in a plastic bag in the shed, and took it out just last week. It immediately began growing like mad, so, heartened by its vigor and beauty, I crept out to Roxbury Mills and bought six more. (Not in the budget, but I used cash which makes it all right.) Above is Arabian Night.

Good Earth is a pale pink cactus form.



This little pale yellow one is Canary Fubuki.

If all goes well, they should be full of blooms by mid-summer. I've planted them along the walkway where the tulips were. I hope they work there - they're amidst some hostas. We shall see.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I can't wait to hear how your dahlias grow Caroline - you were so good to winter them. Only three of my six survived the winter (I'm calling it an experiment, but it's really fall lethargy!)