Thursday, July 2, 2009

The hikers take a walk

Four of the five hiking girls met at the National Arboretum last month for a stroll around the grounds. It had been years and years since I was there, and it's definitely worth a trip. It starts at the water gardens by the entrance.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

The Asian gardens had perhaps the best use of bamboo I've seen.


I made several Notes to Self.
 
This was a delicious combination of ginger and Hosta 'Halcyon.'

 
Kirengeshoma will get pretty big - I'm glad I have it under the oak tree instead of in the front garden.

 
Posted by Picasa

I don't know Hexastylis, but it looks perfect for the shade gardens.

 
This plumleaf azalea is a native - worth looking into.
 
Posted by Picasa

I loved the larkspur blooming among the balloonflower (though mine are just now coming into bud, so the timing might not work - nevertheless, get some larkspurs!)


There were a couple mysteries, too. What is this plant? The fruit left a heavy coating of orange pollen on my fingers.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

And this is something ordinary, I think, but what? Elderberry??

More pix online here. Note the gorgeous lilies, poppies and larkspur by the Herb Garden. Delicious!

No comments: